Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Desk With a View

Seems several of you guys were curious about my office space, so I'll show you a bit more. There are lots of interesting corners in my office, so it might take several blog posts to get through this. But let's start with the actually desks themselves. 

We have enough desks for roughly 80-85% of the people in the office because on any given day there tends to be about 15-20% of the people out whether that is traveling, at meetings cross town or home sick. There are plenty of places to 'plug in' even if for some reason you can't find a desk. After 6 months in this office, I haven't heard one person complain that they could not find a place to sit and work. I usually do sit at a desk with a monitor (you can see my set up here in the pic). I am always the first one in to the office as I get in at 7am each morning. 

When you get in, you decide where you want to sit. It is a first come, first served situation. Which means you likely won't get the same seat day after day. Although several people try. You could if you get in as early as I do, but what fun would that be to always sit in the exact same place when you don't have to?

I do, however, like to sit up front by the big windows where there is a ton of sunlight. After nearly 30 years in an office (oh god did I just admit that?) I have a vitamin D deficiency. My doc told me I will have to take 1000mg a day for the rest of my life. So I try to find ways to get a bit of sun into my day when I can.

I love these windows. They are floor to ceiling and overlook Herald Square. Across the street are wonderful old prewar buildings, one of which is a mini flat iron shape. I love the architecture in NYC; it is one of the things I enjoy most about this city. I could spend weeks wondering around with my camera just taking pictures of buildings and looking up their history.

The 'corner office' is actually a lounge area (on both sides of the the office). So that anyone can enjoy the view during a meeting. I do love the democracy of that. You can see a few of the lockers I mentioned yesterday behind the lounge. Those are double stacked, so you need to be selective with what you absolutely need to keep in the office. Also notice that the desk is clean as you are expected to pick up everything each night. Well everything, except the monitor and the cords. 

The open campus, as they call it here, is an interesting concept and has taken a bit of time to get used to. But I actually do enjoy it most days. 

15 comments:

  1. I am fascinated by this office space and the uniqueness of it. It must be great for communal ideas. What an interesting glimpse into your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks incredibly spacious! It's great that it's got floor to ceiling windows! The lounge looks comfortable :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting a glimpse of your work environment. So modern and forward thinking! The view looks fantastic. My problem there would be gazing out the window too often watching all the happenings out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great workspace; I'd love to sit and gaze out the windows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you showed us some more of your office - I like the long desk w/computers and the lounge area is super! I too would love to walk all over NYC (if I ever get there to visit) with my camera snapping away at all the cool buildings!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your windows are nothing short of awesome! And, I do love the lounge areas...what a perk! I can honestly say that I am such a creature of habit that I am not sure I could work in such an open environment without an "assigned" space! I think that comes from sharing a bedroom with my sister and having to share everything with her until she left the nest at 18 (she is 2.5 years older than me). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, beautiful! I love those windows; so much light coming in. And the modern furniture is spectacular. That bright yellow is really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like such a beautiful place to work.
    Though I will admit, I would want my own workspace. I like the "a place for everything and everything in its place" concept. I would be the person there early every day so I could have "my" spot...lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing your office space! The lounge is so cheery and inviting and love the windows! People must not be on the phone much or else the desk set up would be difficult. Or maybe that's just me since I need it quiet when I'm working. I can't believe you're the first one to get in when you have to travel into the city! Angel says she'd have to walk across those desks too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the windows but it would drive me nuts not having my own space. I am temporarily working in the office now and pulling my hair out because everything isn't where it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your work space is a look into the future. Work that doesn't require privacy could easily transition into this type of space. Lean and light. I often think it's odd how people "nest" at work. I mean a few pictures are fine but some people go overboard. Also, I bet the space you are in is much easier to clean. How is the noise level? And thanks for the reminder to take my vitamin D, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice office space Cynthia! you get to pick yay! I am loving the window view :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaah, windows! My office suite has a large open area in the center where several folks work in cubicle/open spaces, and all along the long wall are big windows. They were so wonderful in the depths of winter, when you feel like sunlight is just a memory. I was given a choice between two offices, one a little closer to the middle of the suite, but with no window, and one in a quiet corner with a window. I'm not always pleased with being a little isolated in the corner, but I do love my window! And as for cleaning up at the end of each day, I'm afraid I would fail miserably!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love Herald Square. I am with you on the architecture of NYC. One of the other things I loved about NYC was the fact that there was an abundance of mom and pop shops.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Thanks for sharing a glimpse into where you spend so much time - your office in NYC! It looks like your company is on the cutting edge of modern office design and the way of the future. Like some of the others, I'm not sure how I would like such an open space and no corner to call my own, but we all have to keep up with the times or get left behind. It's so nice that you provided photos because I'm not sure how I would have envisioned an office space the length of a block! Those windows are amazing - I'm one who absolutely thrives on sunlight so glad to see you have ample light! This was so neat to see how you spend your day, the NYC way. :-)

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy