Saturday, April 4, 2015

About Town :: Westport

We are not quite snow free yet, but very close. There are still some of the large snow piles left around town, and a bit out in our side yard that does not get as much sun. That patch of snow is still covering up what should be my crocus. 

However, that said it actually hit 60 degrees today and it felt like a heatwave! My snow drops are about to burst in the backyard. And the birds and squirrels are going a bit bonkers in the back. I guess we all just need a bit of sun and warmth already.  

I know I haven't posted much lately and that is because work has been busy, and I haven't had time to bead or make much jewelry. For those pieces I have made there hasn't been enough sun to take pictures. But today was perfect. I was able to get out and get a bit snap happy, so you'll see a few pieces coming up in the next week or two.

While we had the sun, we decided to head over to the library where the river walk is. This is my little New England town with the Saugatuck River that runs right through the middle of it. No it isn't very big, but there is more to it than what you see here. I just like the view down by the river.

It was crazy windy today as you can see from the water that is high and choppy. The river is tidal with tides that typically range from 7 to 10 feet, and flows directly into the Long Island Sound. We did manage to catch a few fine feathered friends who walked up the steps. There are steps that go down to the water for anyone deciding to row a boat along the river. You can see his friend popping his head up over that last step. Although the sight of me and the sound of my camera lens zooming in had these two off to the water quickly.

You can also see my photography assistant (aka The Bead Girl) who was out snapping pics with me. It was hard to get her to stand still or find an angle where her hair was whipping in front of her face! 

I also spotted a stone carving that for some reason I've never noticed before. I laughed to myself as I was wondering what kind of stone this was; I could hear the answer in my head from my BBF Christine who always defaults to agate if you're not sure. A good rule of thumb. So we'll go with agate that looks to have a bit of 'lace' in it. 

14 comments:

  1. It's finally warming up here too and now I'm too sick with a cold to go for a walk or day trip to take pics!!! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been wicked windy in Northern VA too...apparently the majority of the Eastern Seaboard....glad you found some time to get a way a bit. What a beautiful town!

    Funny, I always default to agate also! Great minds????

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so different from when I was a kid. We used to stop at a bait shop right by the river so my dad could buy sandworms before we went to the beach. Not far from the "Famous Artist" school. Am I dating myself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurry spring! What a neat little town. These pictures are gorgeous and what a wonderful picture of Anne. I find it amusing that you would find a stone scupture. Looks like something you would use in your beading projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first warm, sunny day we had, I headed to the river and took pictures. I love living close enough to the water to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those first 60 degree days, even if it's wildly windy, are special. A walk in the sunshine nourishes the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful place!!! nice photos!!!
    Have a good week, dear friend!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you...we all need the sun! The weather people say it's going to warm up by the end of this week over here. Fingers crossed.
    I can see how windy it was on the day your were out and about! That sculpture looks like a face to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful day and lovely place!
    You got some really beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like such a beautiful day! Are there kayakers in good weather? Lovely town! Beautiful Bead Girl!
    And.....
    AGATE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This town looks really sweet to explore. We can finally go outside in a slightly lighter jacket! I would go with crazy lace agate on the cool piece of stone too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are in full spring here and I am enjoying it. Does not look as if the tail end of winter has hampered you at all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truly beautiful photos!!! Thanks for sharing ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ironic that you have such cold temperatures and we have such hot days, we are still having heat waves here in Oz in April!

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy