Saturday, May 30, 2015

Make A Statement :: Featuring Therese Frank's Cabochon

Today's hop is hosted by Sally Russick featuring cabochons. She's left the rules a little loose so that people can create with their cabochons using metal smithing, wire wrapping, bead weaving or bead embroidery. I decided to go with a beaded bezel for my cabochon. But not just any cabochon, but one created by my beady friend Therese. 

I wanted to give a little shout out to her hop for next weekend with the ATTS crew (A Time To Stitch) for the 7th installment. Christine and Therese have been hosting this hop for the last few years now (has it really been that long?), and this upcoming hop (Saturday June 6) features bead embroidery. Therese was so sweet to share with many of us her cabochons that she personally made. Her skills seem to know no boundaries, and now she's added lapidary to them. Click here to see some of the other's she made.

The one she sent me I think is just beautiful. It is a plume agate and seems to have a landscape pattern to it. In doing a bit of homework on this type of agate I found that there are several large areas in Eastern Oregon and Idaho (the Owyhee Mountains and Graveyard Point) where they mine this type of agate. They say that plume agates are a seam agates and get their names from the plume like shapes from inclusions in the stones. Many are cloudy plumes, but you'll find brown and black mineral inclusions as well. One 'rock hound' said that when the agate is exposed to the elements it tends to make it look fractured, stained and cloudy. However these stones form, they make for some gorgeous eye candy to bead around.

For my cabochon I decided to use a mix of 'mineral' colors in gun metal grey, copper, brass and gold to highlight all those beautiful inclusions in Therese's stone. I tried (for quite some time) to add leather for the strap, but it just wasn't going to happen. I gave up and went with a simple chainmaille instead which gave this piece just the right balance and substance that I was looking for.

Please be sure to check out all the other artists and their cabochon pieces: Sally (our host), Therese, Sandi, Karin, Paula, Veralynne, Elizabeth, Niky and Terri

21 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous cabochon; plume agate is love and mysterious - your setting and chain maille are the perfect foil. Once again, I love it Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your necklace is so beautiful, you chose a wonderful cabochon and I love how you worked with it using the mix of metallic colors and the fabulous chain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is gorgeous. It looks like a cross between Maxfield Parrish and Albert Bierstadt paintings. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so great to work with a stone that has meaning to you. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything about this design is wonderful and I love how the "mineral" seed beads make the yellow and grey-blue of the agate pop! Beautifully done!!
    Cynthia, I have to tell you that the way you stitched the 15/0 seed beads around the top of the cab adds so much interest to the piece!
    Thank you for taking some time out of your busy schedule to participate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous cabochon! And your weaving skills and choices of seed beads set it off wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful piece you created Cynthia, The stone is amazing and you really did it justice, the colours go fabulously, and oh the chainmaille what a lovely touch! I love that you shared information on the agate, I always learn some thing new when I visit your amazing blog, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cynthia,
    The cabochon was beautiful on it's own, but you have made it so much more beautiful with the enhancement of seed beads. I see a forest behind a pound at sunset. The chain maille necklace is the perfect choice for the pendant. It is such a thrill to see what others create with a cabochon that I cut. Thank you for your kind words.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cabochon is so cool. I love the mustard color in the agate. As always, you have done a beautiful job with the beading. The seed beads are a perfect color complement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love the cab, which goes without saying! Therese's cabs are gorgeous! But, I love the colors you used and the chain maille is a perfect compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cynthia, your cab is breathtaking! I rarely use chain with cabs and you have inspired me to give it a try. The embellishment colors you chose were perfect. What a versatile piece to wear, too. It will go with so many different looks. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with everyone else. This cab is stunning! And your choice of beads just make it seem to glow! The chain color is also an excellent color to match the cab. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all these colors, beautiful composition, I so admire all you bead embroidery artists!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing cabachon and beautifully complimented by your beadwork - simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A gorgeous piece! And your beadwork is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa...I thought that cab was painted!!!! Love her cabs and hope she sells them in the future!

    What a drop dead gorgeous statement piece....your eye for color amazes me (as does your work with those teeny tiny beads)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Cynthia, your necklace is stunning. You chose the perfect beads to complement Therese's beautiful cab.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! The stone does look like a landscape! You picked up the colours in the tiny beads perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! Could you talk a little about the way you've bezeled that cab in that freeform manner? I LOVE it instead of the very static look that can result from bezeling, and would love to know more.

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy