Saturday, April 9, 2016

Bead Shopping

One of my favorite things to do is to meet up with my BBF Christine and go bead shopping. We've done this many times at this point and we're just in a rhythm. 

We'll walk into the large room filled with tables, and tables of beads, rocks, fibers and all things that look like Christmas morning to a beader. 

She'll walk one way, I'll walk the other. Then periodically meet up and compare purchases. It is a perfect rhythm for me. 

Christine is an organized shopper. She likes to case the joint ... making a full circle through all the tables first before making a purchase. She needs to get an inventory of what's there and then decide what to buy based on what she's budgeted for our splurge. She is so disciplined! Yes, yes, I hear you. I could learn a few tricks from her.

But, I have a completely different way to shop. I actually don't shop all that often. My husband does most of the shopping for the household (lucky me). And when we do happen to go shopping together (a rare occasion) I am usually zooming through aisles, picking out things and rarely looking at prices. He on the other hand, will methodically go through the aisles, read each label, comparison shop, check off from a list. And he'll take a look at what I've put into the basket and quietly put things back ... O.M.G. it drives me bananas! It just takes all the fun out of it for me.

My bead shopping isn't much different. I love to stumble across a pendant that I instantly start to design around in my head. But the best part of bead shopping is that my husband NEVER comes with me. Yes, the best part. I can shop in peace. This pendant here is one of those pieces, but the lovely part of it is that Christine seems to know me well. She surprised me with this one (along with a few others) the last time we were at the Bead Expo in Fishkill, NY. Instantly I saw this looking Egyptian and I wanted it to have that Cleopatra-breastplate look to it. I love this pendant, loved creating with it, and love shopping with my BBF.

14 comments:

  1. I envy you two!!! The only bead shopping I ever get to do is online!

    Gorgeous necklace (goes so well with the gorgeous model)! Love the curved element...leather? Tubing? Whatever it is, it is perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot even begin to express how much I miss you.
    This warrior woman necklace is so perfect in its simplicity. The cord and the chain are wonderful in their supporting roles. You honored the focal, as you always do. I love your style, my dear friend. We need to shop apart together again real soon.
    And your ever beautiful model grows more lovely and confident in each photo <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad your husband does not go bead shopping with you. And congratulations he does all the hiusehold shopping 😄

    We all have different styles my husband cannot go to two stores in a row.

    I can imagine you like a child in a candy store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad your husband does not go bead shopping with you. And congratulations he does all the hiusehold shopping 😄

    We all have different styles my husband cannot go to two stores in a row.

    I can imagine you like a child in a candy store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss all the bead stores I visited out in Washington, esp. Shipwreck Beads. I learned that I HAD to make a list of what I actually needed and stick to that first, and then go back for the other stuff. I love shopping for beads. It's incredible how it adds up though. Once a year I'd visit Shipwreck with my Christmas bonus and could easily spend in excess of $300, and leave there with just a small bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That necklace has such a wonderful feel of strength, a subtle ageless power. Kind of reminds me of finding an an ancient artifact.

    May you and Christine have many, MANY more bead shopping adventures together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool pendant!!

    My husband is a little more into lists than I am, but I do look at all the labels in the store. I'm very guilty of spending lots of time with that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The necklace is gorgeous! Very antique looking. Bead expos are dangerous! Luckily your husband stays home and you can browse stress free.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started laughing about you and your hubby! LOL! The necklace is stunning! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely necklace!!!
    Have a good week!!! :)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can imagine your excitement to go bead shopping! What a gorgeous pendant and it looks fab on your daughter!
    Me and my husband do the grocery shopping together. Basically I do the shopping and my husband chooses wine... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My shopping style is probably about in the middle of you two ... and what a perfectly wonderful place that would be!
    I do like to check out all the offerings first, especially if there is a certain budget, and that's always the way it is! So nice to get to hang out with your shopping buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always feel rushed when my husband goes shopping with me. It's best to have someone with you that appreciates the same browsing style. ;)

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy